Copyright 2002 - 2013, All Rights Reserved
Johis MAYCOCK
(1542-1609)
Roger MAYCOCK
(1568-1614)

Rev. Samuel MAYCOCK
(Abt 1594-1622)

 

Family Links

Spouses/Children:
Sarah

Rev. Samuel MAYCOCK

  • Born: Abt 1594, London, Middlesex. England
  • Christened: Nov 7, 1594, Yelvertoft, Northamptonshire, England
  • Marriage: Sarah
  • Died: Mar 22, 1621/22, Massacre at Jamestown, Virginia about age 28
picture

bullet  General Notes:

http://www.pacefamilyhistory.info/lines/fact0009.htm:

Reverend Samuel MAYCOCK

Upon his arrival in the Virginia colony, Samuel MAYCOCK was made a member of the Council in the first Virginia General Assembly in 1619 by Sir George YEARDLEY and continued in office under Sir Francis WYATT, until MAYCOCK was killed in the Massacre of 1622. He also bore the title of "Captain".
The Governor of Virginia, on May 20, 1617,
had asked "orders for Mr. Maycock," a Cambridge scholar, on account of the lack of ministers. "Samuel Macocke was admitted sizar at Jesus May 28, 1611, son of Roger husband- man, of Yelvetoft, Northants. School Shadwell, Leciester. Migrated to Caius May 15,1612, matriculated 1612, scholar 1613-14, went to Virginia 1618, added to Council 1619, K. 1622 (A.C.)
Among those killed at Captain Maycock's plantation of 200 acres, adjoining Flowerdieu Hundred, was Edward LISTER, who came over in the "Mayflower" to Plymouth, Mass. and was a signer of the "Compact".
Captain MAYCOCK, as he was also called, left his young daughter SARAH, as his heiress. She was granted a patent for 200 acres in Surry in 1626.
GEORGE PACE, son of RICHARD, married SARAH MAYCOCK, daughter of SAMUEL MAYCOCK, about 1637.
There is a deed in the Charles City County records by which "Richard Pace, son and heire as the first issue of my mother, Mrs. Sarah Maycock, wife unto my aforesaid father, both deced", confirms a sale of 800 or 900 acres "lying near unto Pierce's Hundred als Flowerdieu Hundred" to Mr. Thomas Drew as per bill of his father October 12, 1650.
In addition to the grant of "Pace's Paines" received from his father RICHARD in 1628, GEORGE PACE patented 1700 acres August 1, 1650 in Charles City County, "lying on S. side of James River, commonly called 'Maycock's', beg. at mouth of a little swamp by the river where Pierce, his hundred, takes ending, running w. to a swamp which leads to Powell's Cr. and along the cr. to the river "for the transportation of 34 persons. (C. P. 199.) He also patented 507 acres "on S. side of James River and E. side of Powell's Cr. Dec. 6, 1652." (C. P. 273.)
Thomas DREW, Gent., patented 490 acres in Charles City June 4, 1657, "on N. side of Flowerdieu hundred Cr., n. upon land purchased by Mr. Pace." (C.P. 34?.)
GEORGE PACE probably died about 1657, for in 1659 Richard Pace "as son and heir of George Pace, decd.", sold land in Charles City. (P. G.) (0. B. 1655.)
In 1677 RICHARD PACE was paid 200 lbs. of tobacco for wolves' heads. He died in that year, for in 1677 MARY PACE was granted administration on the estate of Richard Pace. (0. B. 1677-79, pp. 249, 270.)
On April 19, 1679,
THOMAS DOUGLAS and Capt. JORDAN were appointed to appraise the estate of RICHARD PACE (II) on behalf of the orphan. (Do., p. 279.) It seems that Mary PACE married, secondly, Nicholas WHITMORE, and that her first husband, Richard PACE, was formerly the executor of Hugh KIRKLAND. This is shown in a Court order entered at Westover August 3, 1692 as follows: "The matter of the account between Thomas KIRKLAND v. Nicholas WHITMORE and MARY, his wife, admix. of RICHARD PACE, one of the executors of Hugh KIRKLAND, is referred to Capt. TAYLOR and Capt. PERRY for audit." (Charles City Orders, 1687-1695, p.409.)
(This book was recently returned from the North, where it was taken after or during the Civil War.)
4. GEORGE PACE, undoubtedly orphan son of the above RICHARD PACE (II), was holding 1000 acres in Prince George County (cut off from Charles City County) in 1704. George married a daughter of Edward WOODLIEF, son of John Woodlief and his wife, a daughter of Colonel Robert WYNNE, speaker of the House of Burgesses.
Edward WOODLIEF, in his will probated in P. G. February 1719, mentions his "daughter Pace." The date of George Pace's death is not known, but he evidently had two sons, JOHN and RICHARD, who moved to Bertie Precinct, N.C.
Children: I. John, Sr. made his will in Bertie Precinct, N.C. March 25, 1726-27 and same was probated August 1727. His children were: sons, John, William and George; daus., Frances, Ann, Elizabeth Pace and Mary Elizabeth Melton(husband was Barnaby Melton and his brother Richard married a Ann Yelvington).
(Grimes abs.) His wife was not named.(also I have a will of a Samuel Gay witt. by John Melton)
A WILLIAM LOWE, who held 1584 acres in Prince George County in 1704, moved to N.C.; where he made his will in CHOWAN (later BERTIE Precinct and NORTHAMPTON County), in 1720.
He willed land in Prince George, Va. to
his sons, John and William Lowe;
mentions his son-in-law 3 Robert Dixon,
and also his daughter, "Elizabeth Pace".
This "Elizabeth" may have been the wife of JOHN PACE.
5. II. Richard
RICHARD PACE,
whose daughter TABITHA, married Richard Moore's son, JOHN, evidently moved to nearby Surry County and held land near the Moore family. This is shown by a grant of 1200 acres to one Thomas Avent March 1729, given by the Va. Council. (V. M. 34, p. 203.)
This grant was in Surry County, "beginning at Richard Moore's line to Stewart's line and over Otterdam Swamp to include all land between John Davis and Richard Pace.'
John Barlow, who lived on Otterdam Swamp in Surry, died in 1728. He gave his son, William, a plantation "extending down the branch to Richard Pace's corner."
The men named to divide his land among his three sons were "Richard PACE, Richard MOORE and Thos. AVENT." These three men also witnessed the will. (Bk. 7, p. 864.)
Previous to his removal to Surry,
RICHARD PACE patented 285 acres in PRINCE GEORGE COUNTY., July 12, 1718. This land afterwards fell in BRUNSWICK COUNTY and was situated in the Parish of LAWNE's CREEK, Brunswick, on the north side of Three Creeks.
This land was conveyed by him to John BRADFORD "beginning on said creek side from a corner of Capt. John SADLER's, then by Sadler's line to George Hambleton's. " Three Creeks arose in Brunswick about seven miles west of the Greensville Brunswick county line. The remaining distance to its mouth on the Nottaway River is in Greensville. (Duke-Symmes Hist., p. 71.)
Richard Pace removed to Bertie Precinct (later Northampton County), N.C., where he made his will March 12, 1736; same probated 1738. (Grimes' Abstracts.)
He names
sons, William, Thomas and Richard Pace;
daus. , Ann Stewart, Amy Green, Frances Green, Tabitha Moore, Mary Johnson, Sarah House and Rebecca Bradford,
who was the wife of John Bradford of Brunswick.
(Impression of a lion rampant on seal.)
THOMAS PACE, son of the above RICHARD, made his will in Northampton July 4,1764; probated February 1765. He gave:


wife AMY, use of manor plantation "
daughter CECILIA, 50 and negro girl;
daughter FRANCES two negroes;
son THOMAS plantation where I now live;
son NATHANIEL PACE old plantation where I formerly lived and 13 negroes.
Son NATHANIEL, exr. Friend Blake Bates, Overseer." (Bk. A, Part I, p. 125. In 1792 in Kershaw County, S.C., JOHN MOORE, probably son of John and Tabitha (Pace) Moore "In consideration for the love and affection for his 'Cousin' THOMAS PACE," deeded him cattle and household goods.
This may have been THOMAS PACE (Jr.) mentioned above. (D. B. 1792, See Index.) WILLIAM MOORE, son of John and Tabitha (Pace) Moore, in his will in S.C., dated 1780, gave land to ISHAM BRADFORD, son of MARY BRADFORD. (See Moore and Bradford.)
ISHAM BRADFORD of Claremont Co., S. C. on March 1, 1791 deeded THOMAS PACE and NATHANIEL PACE, Jr., of the county and state aforesaid, 225 acres in aforesaid county on Swift Creek, and 175 acres on the road from Charleston to Camden, granted Thomas Stater (?), August 27, 1751. (Deed recorded in Lancaster.) (Lancaster Bk. B, 80-81.)
NATHANIEL PACE was head of a family in Camden District, Claremont County (now Sumter) in 1790.
==================================
was an important factor in the early days of Jamestown. One of the first buildings built was a church. Samuel Maycock was brought to Jamestown from England as a Minister to the church. He was given a grant of land, north of Jamestown on the James River and the plantation was named Maycock. After the March 22 Massacre, the infant daughter of Samuel Maycock, Sarah, was found alive. Other dwellres of the Maycock plantation had been killed by the Indians. It is thought that Sarah was about four months old at the time of the Indian raid. About 1637 she married George, son of Richard and Isabella Pace, and they moved to the Maycock Plantation. George and Sarah had two known children, Richard Pace II and Elizabeth Pace. Apparently George and Sarah lived on Maycock Plantation the balance of their lives.
=====================================
http://www.angelfire.com/folk/bjhcgenarchive/PACE_Transcription.txt:

SAMUEL MAYCOCK

Religion was a very important factor in the early days of Jamestown. One of the first buildings erected was a church. Samuel Maycock was a sizar at Jesus College, Cambridge, England, and reported to be highly spoken of by his contemporaries. A sizar was an undergraduate at Cambridge University, England, and Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland, who received aid from the college for maintenance. (Virginia Magazine, Vol. 25, page 342) Samuel Maycock was sent to Jamestown, to serve as minister of the church, at the request of Governor Argall March 1617. His wife accompanied him. (Page 92, Volume III Records of the Virginia Company) In 1618 three new settlements or hundreds were established, namely, Flowerdieu Hundred, Martin's Hundred, and Maycock's Hundred. The word "Hundred" is a term used by the English to designate a shire or parish. Originally it was supposed to have one hundred citizens or families in its jurisdiction. Sir George Yeardley came to Virginia in 1619 and brought with him one of the most important documents ever sent the colony-letters patent, granting permission to elect as assembly. This had come about by Sir Edwin Dandys assuming command of the affairs of the London Company, in England. He was dem- ocretic and liberal in the administration of his office, and had abiding faith in the future of the Virginia Colony. Each of the 11 burroughs were authorized to elect two representatives. Governor Yeardley called the General Assembly to meet in Jamestown. This was to be the First Representative Legislative Assembly that ever met in America. The Assembly was called the House of Burgesses, as Burroughs were represented, counties not yet being formed, and the name was retained ever afterwards. Emulating the House of Commons, in England, they sat in the Assembly with their hats on. (Page 54, Colonial Virginia, by William B. Cridlin) On July 30, 1619, this first legislative assembly that convened on the American continent met in the church at Jamestown. It consisted of the Governor, six councellors, and 20 Burgesses - two from each of the ten settlements. It was called the House of Burgesses. (Cridlin's History of Colonial Virginia). The monument at Jamestown, in honor of this First Council of America and the Burgesses, who were members of the first House of Burgesses, lists their names and include Captain Francis West, Captain Nathanial Powell, Master John Pory, Reverend Wicksham, and Master Samuel Maycock. In a letter in 1619 by Governor George Yeardley, to the Virginia Company in England, concerning the need for more counselors, he states that "Mr. Maycock, who dwells at Charles Hundred, 40 miles from Jamestown, is diligent in attending the Council sessions and is, indeed, my chief strength in right". (Kingbury "Records of Virginia Company," Vol. 3, page 119) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ PAGE 20 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Then, on July 21, 1621, the Virginia Company issued "An Ordinance and Constitution for Council and Assembly in Virginia". It contained in part the following: "We, by authority directed to us from His Majesty, hereby order and declare, that hence forward there by two Supreme Counsells in Virginia for the better government of the said colony. The one of which to be called the Counsell of State and whose office shall chiefly be assisting with their care, advice and circumspection to the Governor; shall be chosen, nominated, placed and displaced by the Company, and shall consist for the present only of Sir Francis Wyatt, Governor of Virginia, Captain Francis West, Sir George Yeardley, Mr. George Thorpe, Captain Nathaniel Powell, Mr. Roger Smith, Mr. John Rolfe, Mr. Samuel Macocke, and 15 others." "The other Counsell to be called by the Governor yearly and for very extraordinary and important occasions and shall consist for the present of said Counsell of State and of two Burgesses out of each hundred and other particular plantations to be chosen by the inhabitants. Which Counsell shall be called the General Assemblie, wherein all matters shall be decyded, determined and ordered by the greater part of the voyces than present, reserving always to the Governor a negative voyce; provided no law or ordinance made in said General Assembly shall be and continue in force and validity unless solemly ratified and confirmed by the greater court here in England and so ratified and returned to them under our seal." (Vol. 3 Records of The Virginia Company, 482-3-4) "So the Right Reverend Samuel Maycock was not only a 'Minister of the Gospel', but also a capable manager and valuable adviser. In a discussion of the Governor's councillors he was termed 'a gentleman of birth, virtue and industry'. But disaster came. In the Massacre of March 22, 1622, Samuel Maycock, Edward Lister, Thomas Browne were killed by the Indians. There is no mention of Samuel Maycock's wife or his infant daughter named Sarah. (Vol. 3, Records of the Virginia Company). This daughter had been born only a few weeks before the Massacre and the fact that she and her mother were not among those listed as killed was evidently due to the fact that Mrs. Maycock died in child-birth and little Sarah was being cared for by friends in Jamestown. The census of 1624 shows that little Sarah was born in Virginia, that she was two years of age at the time of the census, and was then living in the home of Captain Roger Smith. Twelve or thirteen years after this census, that is, in 1636 or 1637, Sarah Maycock, the only child of Samuel Maycock, married George Pace, the only child of Richard and Isabella Pace. She thereby passed the blood of Samuel Maycock to her and George Pace's only child - Richard Pace, II and his descend- ants. The Maycock plantation was inherited by his infant father Sarah. In Volume 4, pages 551 and 559, of the Records of the Virginia Company, there is listed 'Extracts of all the titles and estates of land, sent to the Virginia Company by Governor Francis Wyatt May, 1625. On page 554 appears the following: "Mr. Samuel Macockes divident" "Persey's hundred 1000 acres planted" "Tank Wayonoke over against Persey's hundred: 2000 acres" On page 555 there appears ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ PAGE 21 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "Richard Pace - 200 acres planted" There is no mention of the remaining 400 acres owned by Richard Pace and his wife Isabella. The Maycock plantation was sold by Richard Pace, II, the son of George and Sarah Pace, to Thomas Drew. In 1774 the place was purchased by David Meade, whose horticultural development inspired an ecstatic commentator to asy "Forest and Fruit trees are arranged as if nature and art had conspired together to strike the eye most agreeably." There is a marker on Route 10 from Surry to Petersburg, Virginia as follows: MAYCOCK PLANTATION Six Miles North, on James River, The Place was patented about 1618 by Samuel Maycock, Slain in the Massacre of 1622. In 1774 David Meade became the Owner. There Cornwallis crossed the River May 24, 1781. Anthony Wayne Crossed there August 30, 1781.


picture

Samuel married Sarah.




Home | Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List

This Web Site was Created Jan 24, 2013 with Legacy 7.5 from Millennia